ACC quizzes Shamim, Khaled


Anti-graft watchdog, the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), on Monday quizzed top tender manipulator GK Shamim, and casino criminal Khaled Mahmud Bhuiya, also a former Jubo League leader, for allegedly amassing illegal wealth as well as for corruption.

Both Shamim and Khaled were interrogated by ACC officials at the Shegun Bagicha Headquarters of the ACC. Of them, Shamim was interrogated for the second day of his seven-day remand. A team comprised ACC Director Syed Iqbal Hossain Shamim, and ACC Deputy Director (Public Relation) Pranab Kumar Bhattacharya. Before the interrogation, Dr Anup Kumar Biswas examined GK Shamim's physical condition and confirmed that his physical condition was perfect for interrogation. Shamim was also interrogated earlier on Sunday. He was escorted to ACC headquarters at Segunbagicha from Dhaka Central Jail in Keraniganj.

According to case files, ACC found that Shamim amassed Tk50 crore illegally via immovable wealth till the fiscal year 2018-19. He tried to show the legitimate source of Tk402,140,744 of his income, but did not have any source backing the remaining Tk97,859,256. On investigation, it was found that the entire sum of around Tk50 crore was amassed illegally.

Similarly, his company, GKB and Company Private Limited, also could not show legitimate source of income of Tk435,740,832 for FY 2017-18. Additionally, Shamim amassed Tk363,518,719 in movable wealth via GKB and Co's shares, cars, and FDRs which also did not have a valid source. He held 80 per cent of the shares and the remaining 20 per cent were owned by his mother, Ayesha Akhter. Besides, Tk18,128,000 in cash, Tk747,000 in foreign currency equivalent to $9,000, and FDRs worth Tk1,652,765,000 was recovered from Shamim's house during his arrest on September 20.

Shamim, who made a fortune as a contractor and identifying himself as a Jubo League leader, was arrested with about Tk 20 million in cash, Tk 1.75 billion worth of savings in fixed-deposits, alcohol and firearms during a raid on his business in Dhaka's Niketan amid a crackdown on illegal casinos Meanwhile, sacked Jubo League leader Khaled Mahmud Bhuiya was also interrogated by the ACC officials. 

Earlier, he was escorted to the ACC Headquarters from Gazipur Jail in the afternoon. Khaled was arrested from the Gulshan Club on September on charges of running an illegal casino business at Youngmen’s Club in capital’s Fakirapool. He was arrested with three firearms and bullets in his possession. During a raid at the club, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) personnel also arrested 142 people along with Tk 24 lakh in cash, huge casino materials and liquor.

As for Khalid Mahmud Bhuiyan, ACC found that he amassed Tk5,58,15,859 illegally in FY 2018-19. Although he tried to prove legitimacy of Tk1,66,10,080 in immovable property, ACC investigation found that he made around Tk4.5 crore illegally. Further, he tried to prove legitimacy of Tk1,32,76,709 in movable wealth but did not have legitimate sources for Tk90,16,709 from his business. Besides, Tk10,34,550 was recovered from Khaled’s house in cash, and Tk7,64,600 in foreign currency.

Related News: Patrons of casino dons still untouched