Bomb attack on police

We are working to verify claim of IS: DMP chief

For the first time in over two years, international terror group Islamic State (IS) has claimed credit for the bomb attack on traffic policemen in the capital on Monday night, according to USA-based Site Intelligence Group. However, Dhaka Metropolitan Police Commissioner Md Asaduzzaman Miah said they were investigating whether any vested group was trying to take gain using the militant issue.

He came up with the statement while visiting the injured three police personnel at Dhaka Medical College Hospital on Tuesday. “Apart from investigating whether any group is doing these to meet their own agenda we are also examining the claim of IS,” the DMP boss added. Asaduzzaman Miah went on saying, “We are looking into the issue to verify whether any other group was circulating propaganda using the name of IS.”

Responding to another question, he said, “The improvised bomb that exploded in Gulistan on Monday was different from normal crude bombs.” CTTC is collecting the specifications of bombs, the style of the injuries and other necessary evidences, he continued. “Radicalism has global impact. Bangladesh is not out of the global trends but they have no capabilities to carry out any organized terror attack in Bangladesh,” the DMP chief said, adding that the militants’ networks in the country have been destroyed after the Holey Artisan café attack.

“Sometimes they attempted to conduct militant activities in isolated way but we have kept them under our strict surveillance,” the DMP commissioner said.
“We are trying our best to protect the lives and properties of the people,” he continued. The DMP boss added that they have started enhancing security of traffic police after the incident.

Earlier on Monday evening, two traffic constables and a community policeman were injured in a crude bomb blast in the capital’s Gulistan. Police said the crude bomb went off near Gulistan Cinema Hall around 7:35pm during load-shedding. The injured -- traffic constables Nazrul, 45, and Liton, 42, and community policeman Ashik, 28 – have been admitted to DMCH. They are currently undergoing treatment there.

Explosive experts visited the spot to know more about the incident. According to injured Ashik, the crude bomb exploded under a tree, nearly 10 minutes after the power cut. Ashik added that he and one of the victims were resting near the tree. He said there was a sudden blast and he found his back badly injured.
Some police officials said either the crude bomb was planted on the spot or it was thrown from a distance. Police is examining footage captured by CCTV camera installed nearby. A case was filed with the Palton Police Station in this connection.