Two arrested, eight held over Rohingya killing

Published : 11 Aug 2022 08:27 PM

A case has been registered in connection with the killing of two Rohingya sailors by terrorists in the Jamtoli shelter camp of Ukhiyar's Balukhali in Cox's Bazar. Taiba Khatun (30), wife of deceased Majhi Abu Taleb, filed the murder case at Ukhia police station around 1 am on Thursday (August 11). In this, 5 people have been named and 7-8 unknown accused. Ukhia police station OC Sheikh Mohammad Ali confirmed the matter.

The accused are Jafar Alam's son Mahamudul Hasan (27), deceased Sona Ali's son Sah Mia (32) and his brother Abul Kalam @ Zahid Alam (25), deceased Rashid Ahmed's son Zafar Alam (54) and his son Md. Swaib.

All of them live in Jamtoli Rohingya camp.

Three people named Ejahar were arrested in a raid on Thursday morning. These are, Sah Mia (32), Md. Swaib (19) and Zafar Alam (54).

The OC said that the statement filed by the plaintiff regarding the killing of Head Majhi (Block Leader) Abu Taleb (50) and Sub-Mazhi Syed Hossain (43) of C Block of Jamtli FDMN Camp-15 has been registered as a case (number 53).

It is mentioned in the statement that the deceased Abu Taleb Jamtali is the master of block C of Rohingya camp and Syed Hossain is sub-master. On the night of August 9, they were sitting on the bamboo ladder in front of Achia Khatun's house of Block-C/9 after their daily work and were discussing various issues of the block. At that time at 11:40 PM, 7/8 unknown gunmen including the accused named Ejahar shot them indiscriminately with towels on their faces. Later the terrorists escaped by firing blank bullets. Abu Taleb got 2 bullets in his neck and 1 in his chest and 1 in the neck of Sub-Maji Syed Hussain. Later they died.

The plaintiff suspects that Abul Kashem's son Sub-Maji Rezaul Alam (42), Zafar Hossain's son Sub-Maji Md Yachin and Ismail's son (volunteer) Noor Mohammad (32) are involved in this double murder due to previous enmity.

Mohammad Kamran Hossain, deputy commander of 8 Armed Police Battalion, said that after handing over the body to the family after the post-mortem, the body was buried in the D block cemetery after the funeral on Wednesday evening. The operation to arrest the other accused is continuing.