National, Front Page

SUST students call off movement


By BSS
Published : 12 Feb 2022 10:24 PM | Updated : 13 Feb 2022 02:20 PM

Protesting students of Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST), Sylhet have called off their movement for now after getting assurance of fulfilling their demands from Education Minister Dr Dipu Moni.

Protesting students said this in a press briefing at the university's Gol Chttar  Saturday night.

The protestors said they decided to call off their protest keeping complete trust in the education minister's assurance.

The movement has been called off for now for keeping the university's academic activities normal, they said.

On Friday, Education Minister Dr Dipu Moni along with Deputy Minister for Education Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury visited Sylhet and held long discussions with protesting students and teachers.

Later, SUST Vice-Chancellor Prof Farid Uddin Ahmed expressed sorrow over the entire incidents today.

Earlier on January 13, female students started movement with the demand of resignation of the provost of female students' dormitory Begum Sirajunnesa Chowdhury Hall.

Later on January 16, it turned into anti-VC movement after police clashed with the protesters, leaving some students, teachers and police personnel injured. On that day, the protestors started movement with the demand of the vice-chancellor's resignation.

Related Topics