Clicky
National, Front Page

Sinha killing: Nine cops booked


Published : 05 Aug 2020 10:18 PM | Updated : 06 Sep 2020 05:25 PM

Investigation has begun into the killing of retired army Major Sinha Rashed allegedly by policemen.

Chief of Army Staff General Aziz Ahmed and Inspector General of Police (IGP) Dr Benazir Ahmed revealed the information at a joint briefing in Cox’s Bazar on Wednesday. 

Before the briefing, they met senior police and army officers and several officials of the administration.

General Aziz Ahmed and IGP Dr Benazir Ahmed arrived at the army rest house on the Cox's Bazar sea beach around 1:30pm on Wednesday. 

Meanwhile, the sister of deceased Sinha Rashed has filed a murder case with a Cox's Bazar court accusing nine policemen, including the officer-in-charge of Teknaf police station, of killing him. 

At the briefing, General Aziz Ahmed said, "There is no misunderstanding between the Bangladesh Army and Bangladesh Police, the two most important state institutions in Bangladesh, over the Sinha issue." 

He added that as no organisation can be held responsible for what happened, the inquiry committee will find the criminals and put them on trial. 

The incident will not create any rift between the army and police, the Army chief added. 

A four-member government-appointed inquiry committee consisting army and police representatives is investigating the killing.

At the press briefing, IGP Benazir Ahmed said, "There will be no misunderstanding between the two forces because of what happened in Teknaf.”

"Our only goal will be to co-operate with the joint inquiry committee which was formed under the directive of the Prime Minister to investigate the incident,” the IGP said adding, “Subsequent legal proceedings will be followed as per the report submitted by the investigator.”

Benazir Ahmed added that many people are making provocative comments, but they cannot succeed because there is a relationship between the army and police. 

“They are trying to fish in troubled waters by inciting one force against another,” he said requesting public not to spread such misleading information for the sake of the country. 

Sinha Rashed with three others were staying in Cox’s Bazar for around a month to film a travel documentary. He was shot dead on the night of July 31 at Baharchara checkpoint at Shamlapur along the Cox's Bazar-Teknaf Marine Drive under Teknaf police station. 

After his death, police said they fired in self-defence when he brandished a pistol after obstructing a search of his vehicle. 

A statement from the army headquarters on Sinha Rashed's death said police had been charged with killing Sinha Rashed. 

In the wake of the nationwide uproar over Sinha Rashed's death, 18 policemen from the Bahar Rhyme Investigation Center have been withdrawn.

Sinha’s elder sister Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous filed the case with Teknaf Judicial Magistrate Court on Wednesday.

Inspector Liaqat Ali of Baharchhara Police Investigation Centre and OC Pradeep Kumar Das are among the nine policemen named in the case, said the applicant.

Judge Tamanna Farah took cognizance of the case and ordered the Teknaf Police Station to record the complaint. The court also ordered the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) to investigate the case.