Shirisa or Glue trees situated at the Hasan Market of Bandarbazaar of Sylhet are the silent witnesses of various historical movements including the Language Movement.
Standing atop the buildings, these trees once witnessed the establishment of the Govinda Park, Raja GC School and MC College nearby. Now, only three remaining trees have many things to tell to our new generation.
According to sources, in 1959, Hasan Market, named according to the name of Deputy Commissioner of Sylhet Hasan Chowdhury, started its journey in Sylhet.
Writer Rafiqur Rahman Lazu of Sylhet informed, there was another Glue tree in front of main gate of Sylhet City Corporation. There was a petrol pump beside the tree where they used to sit and gossip. Moreover, there were a large number of Glue trees inside Hasan Market.
EU Shahidul Islam Shahin of Sylhet District Bar informed, M.C. College was situated before the Govinda Park.
His grandfather Mozahid Ali was a student of the college. Raja GC High School was also situated at the same place. Historical meeting of Language Movement of 1952 was also held at this park.
Among others, by Advocate Monir Uddin Ahmed, Pir Habibur Rahman and Comrade Asaddar Ali. That is why the memory of Historical Language movement is involved with the park and the trees.
Mohammd Rafi, a bank official said, the trees bear witnesses of various historical events that is why those should be saved.
In 1892, the then King Raja Girish Chandra Roy established Murari Chand College at the park site. Later on in 1908, the college was shifted to other place and the Govinda Park remained there. In 1959, the then Deputy Commissioner of Sylhet constructed Hasan Market there. Some of the old Shirisa or Glue trees were still inside open space of the market. Those trees now scuttle people of Sylhet with the memory of the Historical Lanaguage Movement, Govinda Park, King GC School and the MC College.