Education & Culture

‘Seats allocated based on merit not lobbying’

Published : 03 Oct 2023 09:07 PM

Begum Fazilatunnessa Mujib Hall of Shahjalal University of Science and Technology(SUST)' seats allotment list has been published. Where 480 seats are being prepared for female students and those will be allocated. The provost of the hall Professor Dr. Candrani Nag on Tuesdayconfirmed this to the Bangladesh Post.

Professor Dr. Candrani Nag said that the application form was released a week ago. More than 800 female students applied for it. On the basis of that application, seats have been allotted to those who are deserving of seats according to their merit.

Dr. Candrani also said that the initial process of admission is ongoing. 95% seats are allocated on the basis of merit. The remaining 5% seats are allotted to students from remote districts, facing financial problems and university quotas. Also, since some seats have been allotted through automation software from the GST list, many students who have canceled admission and moved to other universities, or stay at home - will not get admission. As a result, admission will be taken again next week in these seats. Those who have not got seats are requested to be patient. 

She also said, those who are eligible for admission will get the message automatically. Since, the hall has not yet recruited enough manpower, it takes some time to get the message out about the manpower crisis. Hopefully the message will go on the phone soon. So, seats are allocated based on merits, No one's hand or any lobbying was accepted here.

In this regard, the Pro VC Professor Dr. Md. Kabir Hossain said, thinking about the convenience of the students, we are completing the work of the hall quickly while maintaining the quality. Those who are in charge of engineering have been instructed that there can be no compromise on quality.

University VC Professor Farid Uddin Ahmed said that there is no concession in the infrastructural development of this university. We are working on a good plan so that our infrastructure does not have to be touched in the next 100 years. The highest standards of materials used in construction are verified here. No compromise on quality. As a result we are doing the best quality work. The name of Mujib family is associated with this hall. 

As a result, construction is being done in such a way that the students get all the facilities according to their ability. A few days ago we visited the final stages of construction. This hall will be inaugurated soon.