Police searching schoolgirl’s killer

‘We could not save Neela from eve-teaser when she was alive’, said the mother of ‘Neela Roy’ lamenting in the grief after losing her dearest daughter, who was brutally killed by an eve-teaser at Dakkhin para area in Savar, on the outskirts of the capital, on Sunday night. 

She said, "Despite asking Mizan’s family to control him multiple times and changing our rented house Mizan did not stop. We even decided to move to the village as Mizan became more desperate. Yet, Mizan did not let my daughter live and killed her brutally”.

Maruf Hossain Sarder, Superintendent of Police in Dhaka told Bangladesh, “A case has been filed with Savar model police station in this regard and we are trying to arrest the accused.”

Deceased Neela Roy, 14, was the daughter of Narayan Roy of Balirtek village under Manimganj Sadar police station. She lived at Dakkhin para area along with her family and was a tenth grade student at ACED school in Savar. On other hand the accused killer is identified as Mizanur Rahman Mizan, 20, son of Abdur Rahman of Dakkhin para area, a student of ‘Collegex College’ in Savar.

Alok Roy, brother of the deceased alleged, Mizanur rahman had been offering love proposal to Neela for last one and half year, but Neela always refused. Lastly, Mizan blocked Neela and Alok's Rickshaw while they were returning home after visiting doctor at around 9.00 pm on Sunday night. Mizan was equipped with two large knives at the time and forcefully took Neela to an abandoned house, 20 yards away owned by Mizan’s family. Mizan randomly stabbed Neela with both hand there and fled, leaving her critically injured. Later, locals rescued Neela and took her to Enam Medical College Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.

Visiting the murder spot, thus correspondent found signs of using drugs inside that abandoned house. Seeking anonymity, a local resident told The Bangladesh Post, “Mizanur Rahman and some other youth operating a 15 membered teenage gang in the area used to take drugs regularly in groups inside the abandoned house owned by Mizanur’s father Abdur Rahman. Though multiple teenage gangs are active in the area for long and many unwanted incidents were caused by those gangs, local police is yet to take appropriate action against them.

When asked about the allegations, SP Maruf Hossain Sarder said “I don’t know whether anybody informed police about such a thing or not. But now we are working into the matter and the first job is to arrest the murder accused. We will look into other issues after the arrest”. “I will take strict action if anybody can show any evidence that they informed police or lodged any complaints at the police station”, he added.