No dev work possible without coordination: LGRD minister

Published : 27 Nov 2021 09:40 PM | Updated : 28 Nov 2021 04:15 PM

Local Government, Rural Development, Cooperatives Minister Md Tajul Islam MP said, “Chattogram is the economic heart of the whole country and the golden gate of prosperity and development.”

“Realizing this fact, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has implemented and is going to implement several mega projects in Chattogram.  These projects will increase the economic importance of Chattogram”, he added.

The minister made the remarks while laying the foundation stone of Chattogram City Corporation's (CCC) canal excavation project from Bahaddarhat Baripara to Karnafhuli River at Maijpara in the city on Saturday noon.

The minister said that Chattogram is called the second capital of Bangladesh and It is the gateway to the country.

“Bangabandhu’s daughter Prime Minister and I personally do not have to realize the importance, the political leaders and the people here have to do. If you do not realize this importance, development activities will be hampered in the region,” he added. 

He said that the development depends on how much the councilors are able to keep the area clean and increase public participation.

The minister said that Bangladesh is now a role model of world development.  

Tazul Islam called upon all including CCC engineers and councilors, to work together.

“The government does not have money making machines. The government collects revenue from the city dwellers. Development is done with that money. Citizens have also responsibilities to observe the works.  So, I do not want to get any complaint from the citizens regarding the development,” he added.  

The minister directed to maintain register over all the vehicles of CCC.  

 City Mayor Rezaul Karim Chowdhury presided over the function while LGRD Senior Secretary Helaluddin Ahmed attended the function as special guest.

Speaking on the occasion the Chattogram City Corporation (CCC) mayor said that Bangabandhu’s daughter Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has taken responsibility for the development of Chattogram.

“This canal is needed to save the people of Chattogram from waist deep water. I also have been suffering indescribably due to waterlogging for long. When the work of this canal will be completed, there will be no more trouble in the port city,” he added.  

Councilor M Ashraful Alam delivered the welcome speech while Raozan Upazila Chairman Ehsanul Haider Chowdhury Babul, ward councilor Shahin Ara Chowdhury and CCC chief engineer Rafiqul Alam, among others, spoke on the occasion.

Project Director Farhadul Alam told BSS that over 25 acres of land will be acquired out of the total cost of the 2.9 km canal excavation project. The canal will be 65 feet wide. 

A total of TK 1104 crore will be given to the district administration for land acquisition.  Rest Tk 218 crore will be spent for 5.5 km road, 5.8 km retaining wall and nine bridges.

The government will pay 75 percent cost of the project while the rest 25 percent costs will be provided by CCC.

Earlier, the minister inaugurated the road development work of CCC at city’s Ambagan area.

Related Topics