Sports, Football

Newcastle overpower Mutd, Arsenal five clear of Man City

By Reuters
Published : 03 Dec 2023 09:21 PM

Anthony Gordon scored the winner as Newcastle held off a frenzied late push by Manchester United in a deserved 1-0 Premier League victory over their top-four rivals at a chilly St James' Park on Saturday.

Eddie Howe's team climbed above Manchester United into fifth in the table on 26 points after 14 games as Erik ten Hag's side dropped to seventh on 24.

The Magpies have won three consecutive games against Manchester United in all competitions for the first time since January 1922.

Gordon scored his sixth goal of the Premier League season in the 55th minute when Kieran Trippier played a ball across the six-yard box after Manchester lost possession in midfield.

Miguel Almiron narrowly missed getting to the ball before a wide-open Trippier swept it in from the back post for Gordon to score.

Newcastle, who drew 1-1 with Paris St Germain in the Champions League on Wednesday, dominated the match, peppering United keeper Andre Onana with 22 shots compared with the visitors' seven.

Manchester United pressed for a late equaliser with a flurry of chances including Harry Maguire's headed effort that was ruled out for offside.

Newcastle were a more cohesive and hungry side in halting their opponents' run of four away wins. Manchester United have lost all five league games against top-half teams this season.

If not for Maguire and fellow defender Luke Shaw, the score may have been more lopsided.

Newcastle had a terrific chance just before halftime when Trippier curled in a beautiful free kick that caught keeper Andre Onana rooted to the spot, but the ball glanced off the crossbar and dropped just outside the goalline.

One negative for Newcastle, already depleted by injuries, was keeper Nick Pope's replacement by Martin Dubravka in the 86th minute after dislocating his shoulder. Pope walked gingerly off the pitch with the help of medical staff.

Arsenal five clear of champions Man City, Everton win   

Arsenal took the chance to open up a four-point lead at the top of the Premier League with a 2-1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

Everton enjoyed their first win since being docked 10 points as they beat Nottingham Forest 1-0, while Burnley earned home points for the first time this season by hammering Sheffield United who ended the day rock bottom after a 5-0 thrashing.

Early goals by Bukayo Saka and Martin Odegaard put Arsenal in control against Wolves at The Emirates but Mikel Arteta’s side had to withstand a late rally by the visitors.

Arsenal now hold their largest lead of the table since April when they were five clear of eventual champions Manchester City.

Arteta needs no reminding of how that title race panned out with his side ultimately collapsing, but they are again showing the consistency to sustain a long challenge.

Arsenal have 33 points from 14 games with City on 29 ahead of their home game against injury-hit Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday. Liverpool and Aston Villa, who have 28 points, are also in action on Sunday against Fulham and Bournemouth.

By the time Everton kicked off at the City Ground, they were bottom - courtesy of Burnley’s win and the 10-point sanction for breaking Premier League financial sustainability rules.

Sean Dyche’s team responded with a battling victory secured by Dwight McNeil’s powerful finish in the 67th minute and resolute defending as Forest threw everything into attack.

Vincent Kompany's side, the only one in the top four divisions without a home point, needed only 15 seconds to take the lead as Charlie Taylor's cross was glanced in by Jay Rodriguez. Jacob Bruun Larsen made it 2-0 before Sheffield United's Oli McBurnie was sent off on the stroke of halftime after his second yellow card for an elbow.

Zeki Amdouni and Luca Koleosho stretched Burnley's lead after the break and Josh Brownhill completed their biggest-ever Premier League win.

Brentford bounced back from their defeat by Arsenal to beat Luton Town 3-1 at home to move 10th -- all the goals coming in the second half.

French striker Neal Maupay broke the ice on a freezing day in the capital by sweeping home from close range in the 49th minute. Ben Mee headed in from a corner in the 56th minute and although Luton pulled a goal back through Jacob Brown, Brentford's Shandon Baptiste made sure of the win.