All Section, City

IPC, waste management training for nurses, cleaners begins


Published : 13 Aug 2022 08:30 PM

Cox's Bazar District Headquarters Hospital's IPC team has organized hands-on training on Infection Prevention and Control, Medical Waste Management for doctors, nurses and health workers working in the hospital. The focal person of the infection control committee of the hospital and the assistant professor of surgery department of Cox's Bazar Medical College participated in the workshop as trainers. Arif Hossain, IPC Deputy Focal Dr. Sudipta Ghosh, Resident Medical Officer Master Trainer, Sadar Hospital Dr. Ashikur Rahman imparted training on 5S KAIZEN.

The training was inaugurated by the supervisor of the 250-bed district headquarters hospital. Md. Mominur Rahman. Syed Ahmed Tanshir Uddin was in charge of the workshop held in the BNpal conference room of the hospital.

Trainers emphasize on medical waste management. 80 percent of the total waste generated in hospitals is general waste and the remaining 20 percent is medical waste.

Due to mixing of general waste with medical waste, public health is at risk, infection is spreading.

Color coded garbage bins are recommended and proper waste management is done by putting specific waste in that bin. Infection prevention and control management, as well as proper hand washing, hand washing rules, keeping the hospital environment clean, and how to keep the workplace clean (5S) are taught hands-on to the trainees.

All doctors, nurses, wardboys and cleaners working in Cox's Bazar District Sadar Hospital will be given this training. The training program will continue for a month.

IPC nurse Pratibha Singh said that Cox's Bazar District Sadar Hospital is the first government hospital in Bangladesh to start the IPC program. We will provide hands-on training to everyone in the hospital on medical waste management, infection prevention and control, hygiene rules of hand washing, and keeping the hospital clean. 1100 doctors, nurses, wardboy-cleaners working in the hospital will be given this training. 6 batches of training have already been completed.

Incidentally, last year Cox's Bazar District Sadar Hospital won the best hospital award in the country. To maintain this continuity, IPC training is conducted regularly.