ICT verdict in RP Saha killing case any day

The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT)-1 on Wednesday kept a case lodged over murder of Danbir Roy Bahadur Ranada Prasad Saha alias RP Saha and his son Bhabani Prasad Saha on CAV as both prosecution and the defence concluded their arguments, reports BSS. “Verdict on CAV (curia advisory vault, a Latin legal term meaning the court awaits verdict),” said Justice Md Shahinur Islam, chairman of the three-member panel of the ICT-1.

The prosecution on April 7 concluded their part of arguments over the case. The ICT-1 on March 28, 2018, framed three charges of crimes against humanity against sole accused Md Mahbubur Rahman alias Mahbub of Tangail. Mahbub, 69, an alleged Razakar leader, carried out horrific crimes during War of Liberation along with his family and associates from Razakar Bahini in his locality.

According to the charge framing order, Mahbub is accused of carrying out attacks in different areas of Tangail and in Narayanganj along with his father and local Peace Committee chief Wadud Moulana and brother Razakar Md Abdul Mannan. On their instigation Pakistani army gunned down 33 Hindus at village Baimhati, ancestral home of RP Saha, in Mirzapur, Tangail, on May 7, 1971.

On that same day, Mahbub along with his associates from Razakar Bahini and Pakistani army men attacked RP Saha’s residence in Sirajdikhan Road area of Khanpur of Narayanganj town. There, Mahbub and his associates detained five including RP Saha and his son Bhabani Prasad Saha. The Razakars tortured them and took them away them. They did not return from the clutches of the Rajakars. On May 14, 1971, 50/60 armed Razakars including Mahbub launched an attack on villages Mirzapur, Andhara, Sarishadair, Durgapur, Kanthalia,

The Razakars detained 22 Hindus and tortured them. Mahbub also brought Pakistani army men to the village. Later, Pak army killed the detainees.
Mahbub, who was arrested in another case, was shown arrested in under ICT Act of 1973 on November 7, 2017.
The prosecution submitted the formal charge against the lone accused on January 11, 2018.