Clicky
National, Back Page

Hotels, restaurants can run, but at half capacity


Published : 23 May 2021 09:57 PM | Updated : 24 May 2021 12:10 AM

During the extended lockdown, hotels, restaurants and food stores will be able to accommodate customers up to half the sitting capacity. 

This information was given in a notification to extend the duration of the ongoing lockdown protocols to prevent the transmission of the ongoing crisis of Covid-19.

The notification was issued by the Cabinet Division on Sunday, extending the ban for another seven days, from May 24 to 30.

The notification said that hotels, restaurants and other food shops will be able to provide services to half of the number of customers.

The lockdown had started from 8 am on April 5 with the increase of coronavirus infection at an alarming rate. Since then, food shops and hotels and restaurants have been allowed to sell or supply food online or for takeaway. Sitting at the food places were strictly restricted.

Later, on April 14, an eight-day strict lockdown started from 6 am. The lockdown period was extended for the fourth time. That period ended at midnight on Sunday.

Mashfiqur Rahman, a restaurant owner in the Dhaka’s Lalbagh area, told Bangladesh Post that this decision came as a big sigh of relief to them. 

He said that with all commercial fields now functioning under hygiene guidelines, it was about time that the hotel and restaurant business shared that fate.

“We have been serving online orders and takeaways for almost a year now. Customers did return to the restaurants for a brief period of time but then the Covid-19 scene worsened. However, the numbers seem to be in control now and we would love to accommodate customers again, even if it is half the number of people”, he said. 

Another owner of a restaurant in Dhanmondi shared that some is better than none. 

He added, “Half the capacity is a good number and it would be easy for us to maintain health protocols. Returning to proper business with hygiene measures is the priority now.”

Earlier, the Bangladesh Restaurant Owners Association said in a press conference that the coronavirus has caused a loss of Tk 50,000-60,000 crore since last year. About half of the hotels and restaurants across the country have shut down. In such a situation, the owners want to open hotels and restaurants in compliance with the hygiene rules. Otherwise, they would be left with no choice but to take to the streets.