Clicky
National, Front Page

2nd prosecution witness at ICT

Heard Hasina ordering ‘no release, no treatment’


By BSS
Published : 04 Aug 2025 10:24 PM

A new witness in the crimes against humanity case against Sheikh Hasina, Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal and Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun, at the International Crimes Tribunal (ICT)-1 on Monday said he heard then prime minister ordering hospital authorities not to release any patients, who got injured while taking part in anti-discrimination movement, and not to provide them any treatment.

"...I was taken from the Mitford Hospital to National Institute of Traumatology and Orthopaedic Rehabilitation (NITOR), after getting shot by police in the Bijoynagar area on July 19. Then prime minister Sheikh Hasina came to the hospital on July 26 or 27, 2024. She talked with me and realized I was an anti-discrimination activist. After that she talked to four or five more patients at the hospital. As she was going out, I heard she was ordering the people at the hospital help desk, 'no release, no treatment'," said second prosecution witness (PW) Abdullah Al Imran.

The witness, who lost his left leg in the police firing, said he was shot below his left knee at Bijoynagar Water Tank area around 3pm on July 19, 2024, adding two other protesters were killed on the spot.

"At first I was taken to different private hospitals, but they refused to provide me any treatment. Later, I was taken to Mitford (Sir Salimullah Medical College Mitford Hospital). There, doctors wanted to amputate my leg. Even though, I agreed to do so, but my well-wishers were reluctant and I was shifted to NITOR," he added.

Imran said after Sheikh Hasina's instruction, the hospital authorities were 

not providing them with proper treatment and his leg started to rot. 

"Foul smell was coming from my wounds, making people to stay away from me. 

The antibiotic given by the hospital, was not working on me, and the 

authorities were not allowing me to collect medicine from outside. My father 

at the time wanted to take me away for better treatment, but they were not 

giving me release. I realized it was the result of Sheikh Hasina's 

instruction for no release and no treatment," Imran testified.

The witness said the scenario changed drastically after August 5 as he was 

shifted from general bed to cabin, where he got proper treatment.

"So far, there were 25 surgeries on my leg. But I cannot move my leg and it 

will not work anymore," the witness further said.

He accused Sheikh Hasina, Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal and Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun for his ordeal and demanded justice.

After his testimony, Advocate Amir Hossain, state appointed counsel for 

Sheikh Hasina and Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal, cross-examined him.

The first tribunal on July 10 indicted the trio for their role in crimes 

against humanity committed during the July-August mass uprising.

The ICT-1 on June 17 published notice in two national dailies, asking ousted 

prime minister Sheikh Hasina and former home minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal to surrender on June 24.

"...as per rules 31 of the International Crimes (Tribunal-1) Rules of 

Procedure 2010 (Amendment), 2025, they are hereby ordered to surrender at 

this tribunal on June 24, 2025. Otherwise, trial will be held in their 

absence as per section 10A of the International Crimes (Tribunals) Act, 

1973," the notice said.

As the two accused opted not to appear before the court in spite of court's 

notice, the tribunal on June 24 had set today to hold hearing on charge 

framing.

The tribunal on June 16 ordered the authorities concerned to publish notices 

on two national dailies, one in Bangla and another in English, asking the two 

fugitive convicts to give up before the court.

Earlier, the ICT-1 on June 1 took the formal charge, filed by the prosecution 

in the case, into cognizance and had set June 16 for passing further order in 

this connection. 

In line with that order, Chief Prosecutor Muhammad Tajul Islam on June 16 

said, of the three accused, Sheikh Hasina and Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal are yet 

to be arrested and police learned from different sources that they are in 

India right now. 

The prosecution in the formal charge brought five charges against ousted 

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, former Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal and 

former Inspector General of Police (IGP) Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun.

The investigation agency of the ICT on May 12 filed its probe report in the 

crimes against humanity and mass killing case.