Batsman Alex Hales has been withdrawn from England’s preliminary World Cup squad to avoid any “unnecessary distractions” ahead of the showpiece tournament, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Monday, reports Reuters.
Hales, who was named in England’s preliminary World Cup squad, is serving a three-week ban for recreational drug use. “We’ve worked hard to create the right environment around the England team and need to consider what is in the best interests of the team” Managing Director of England Men’s Cricket, Ashley Giles, said. “I want to make it clear this is not the end of Alex’s career as an England player. The Nottinghamshire batsman will not travel to Ireland for a one-off ODI on Friday and has also been removed from England’s ODI and Twenty20 squads against Pakistan.
Hales was fined and suspended for his involvement in a nightclub in 2017.
The 30-year-old was given a six-match ODI ban in December. He had already missed two games and the remainder of the ban was suspended for 12 months so he could be available for selection.