All Section, City

Govt working on e-waste management: Shahab Uddin


Published : 16 Jan 2022 09:39 PM

Environment, Forests and Climate Change Minister Md Shahab Uddin has said that his ministry is working relentlessly for the management of e-waste and solid waste in the country. 

For this, notifications have been issued for “E-Waste Management Rules, 2021” and “Solid Waste Management Rules, 2021”, he added.

He said that the Department of Environment has already adopted a 10-year action plan for plastic management and a three-year special programme to stop the use of single use plastics in coastal areas.

The Minister made the statement while speaking as the special guest at a seminar on “Current Status of Circular Economy in Bangladesh: Problems and Prospects” held at FBCCI (Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industries) Auditorium on Sunday. 

The Minister said that a maximum of 40 percent plastic waste is recycled in the country and the remaining 60 percent plastic waste falls on land or in reservoirs, rivers-canals and seas causing environmental pollution.  

“Four new projects aimed at sustainable waste management will be launched soon. Waste reduction, reuse and recycling (3R) strategies for management have been formulated for environment friendly waste management.

 Along with development in the country, we have to strive for conservation of environment and biodiversity and tackling climate change,” he said. 

The Environment Minister further said that implementation of “Circular Economy” in the country would reduce the extraction of underground and surface resources, ensure sustainable use of raw materials, reduce wastage of resources and reduce the amount of waste generated during the process. 

“As a result, it will be possible to reduce greenhouse gas emission responsible for climate change,” he added. 

Industries Minister Nurul Majid Mahmud Humayun was present as the chief guest at the seminar presided over by FBCCI President Md Jasim Uddin.  

Dr Mizan R Khan, Professor of Independent University and Eun Joo Allison, Senior Environmental Specialist of Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Global Practice were present as panelists, among others.