Govt trying its best to keep the economy vibrant

The issue of inclusive growth must not be overlooked

Published : 01 Jun 2023 08:29 PM

During a question-answer session in the parliament on Wednesday Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina said the government is making all-out efforts to keep the country's economy vibrant despite the global economic recession caused by the Russia-Ukraine war and the Covid-19 pandemic. The premier highlighted various measures, including rationalisation of government expenditures, subsidies given to the power, energy and agriculture sectors, and incentives on exports, taken by her government to keep the economy vibrant.

The existing policies implemented by the government over the last several years have been fruitful towards boosting the country’s economic growth. As a result of the government’s various endeavours, the pace of the country’s remittance inflow remarkably increased over the last several years. Country's major macroeconomic indicators like the growth rate of GDP too have remarkably increased and Bangladesh has set a target to achieve 8.51 percent GDP growth by 2025.

In order to 

sustain the country’s 

economic growth and make it more 

inclusive, the government must take 


for creating more jobs both in the 

public and private sectors

We have reiterated our gratification over the robust growth our economy has achieved over the last decade.  There is no denying that the country is speeding on the highway of economic growth, but beneath this optimistic picture there also lies the worrying side of it.

The rich-poor divide has been growing over the past decade and the fruits of the robust growth have not trickled down to the masses at the expected level. Inequality of wealth between rich and poor has been on an increasing trend. 

Reportedly, less than 10 percent of the total population own more than what the rest 90 percent does. Hence , in order to sustain the country’s economic growth and make it more inclusive, the government must take initiatives for creating more jobs both in the public and private sectors.

In Bangladesh, hundreds of thousands of students pass out of colleges and universities with higher degrees every year but many of them remain unemployed. Boosting private sector investment can change this scenario and make the growth more meaningful. In order to shove Bangladesh to the next level of growth, private investment has to be promoted further.