Former Sonagazi OC Moazzem Hossain has been suspended on charge of negligence of duty in connection with the death of Nusrat Jahan Rafi, who was burnt by assailants in Feni. OC Moazzem Hossain has been attached to the DIG’s office in Rangpur, said Md Sohel Rana, assistant inspector general (AIG) of police headquarters (PR) on Friday.
“The decision has been taken in accordance with the recommendations of a probe panel formed by the Police Headquarters," said Sohel. The punitive action was taken against him following the recommendation of the probe body formed to investigate the Nusrat murder case, he said. Earlier on April 10, Moazzem Hossain was withdrawn and attached to the Armed Police Battalion (APBN).
Besides, a case was filed against OC Moazzem Hossain with Cyber Crimes Tribunal under the Digital Security Act. Supreme Court Lawyer Barrister Sayedul Haque Sumon filed the case on April 15 under section 26, 29 and 31 of the act for spreading a video on social media on Nusrat’s statement at the police station.
According to the case statement, the OC called Nusrat to the police station on March 27 after she filed a case against Maulana SirajUd Doula, principal of Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa, for sexually harassing her. During interrogation at the police station, he asked her offensive and unpleasant questions over the incident. Later, the OC spread the video on social media.
On April 6, Nusrat was set afire at an examination centre allegedly by people loyal to the principal of her madrasa after he was arrested and subsequently suspended as she had accused him of sexually harassing her in Sonagaziupazila of Feni district. She lost her battle for life on April 10 at Dhaka Medical College Hospital in the capital.
A case was filed accusing eight identified people, including madrasa principal Sirajuddoula, lecturer of English Absar Uddin, Feni municipality councilor Maksudul Alam Maksud, and four unidentified ones. Later, the case was transferred to PBI (Police Bureau of Investigation).