Five of a family burned to death in Moulavibazar


Five members of a family were burnt to death in a fire at a shoe store at M Saifur Rahman road of the district town on Tuesday morning, reports BSS.

The deceased were identified as Subash Roy, 60, owner of the footwear outlet, his daughter Priya Roy, 19, Subash’s sister-in-law Dipti Roy, 48, his brother-in-law’s wife Dipa Roy, 35, and Dipa’s daughter Boishakhi Roy, 3.

The fire might have been originated from a gas pipeline leakage or electric short circuit of the building around 10:15am and soon engulfed the entire house.

Being informed, fire service units rushed the spot and doused the fire after struggling for three hours.

The bodies have been recovered from the house and sent to Moulavibazar 250-bed Hospital, Moulavibazar Fire Service deputy assistant director Abdullah Harun told BSS correspondent. Police Super Faruque Ahmed said Subash along with his family lived on the first floor of the building.

The official also said that the exact amount of damage due to the fire could not be known immediately.