At least eight shops were gutted in a fire at Maini Bazar under Langadu upazila of the district in the early hours of Saturday.
The fire originated from an electric short circuit at a shop of the market around 3.30am and soon engulfed other adjacent shops.
As a result, eight shops were completely gutted, Langadu Fire Service and Civil Defense representative Md. Salim said.
Being informed, Langadu Fire Service and Civil Defense unit rushed to the spot and doused the blaze with the help of locals and affected businessmen after one hour of efforts,he added.