National

Doctor burns himself by hand sanitiser


Published : 28 Jul 2020 12:14 PM | Updated : 07 Sep 2020 12:57 PM

In a horrific incident, a Doctor in Hatirpool caught fire when he accidentally came in contact with fire while he was pouring hand sanitizer from a big bottle to a small one.

The doctor identified as Rajib Bhattacharya died on Tuesday morning while undergoing treatement at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.

According to family sources, on July 22, the fire erupted when a bottle of hand sanitizer came in contact with a mosquito coil, leaving Rajib injured. His wife Dr Anusha Bhattacharya also received injures as she came to rescue him. He sustained 87 percent burn injuries and his wife 20 percent. Later, they were admitted to the burn unit and plastic surgery institute.

Rajib was a physician of neurosurgery department of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) and his wife is a registrar of Shyamoli Central Medical.

Relatives said Rajib's house is in Eastgram of Debidwar upazila of Kumilla. He has a daughter Rajshree Bhattacharya (5).