Construct sustainable rural roads

Devise immediate measures to repair the damaged roads


It is disconcerting to note that around 53 percent of the rural roads are now in bad shape. As reported by this daily on Tuesday, the condition of 49 percent of the rural roads was in good shape in 2017-18. But, at present only 47 percent of the rural roads are in good shape while the rest 53 percent or 62,000 kilometres of rural roads under the LGED need to be repaired. Reportedly, last year's floods caused damage to about 18,000 km of rural roads. But most of these roads have not been repaired as yet.

Experts are of the opinion that most of the rural roads get damaged too early due to faulty construction and use of low-quality materials. In most developed countries, all city roads and highways are constructed with mix of sand, cement and concrete as these construction ingredients are stronger, water-resistant and low in maintenance cost. But in Bangladesh most of the roads are built with bitumen, low quality sand and brick-chips, and this is the main reason behind the poor lifespan of our roads. Therefore, authorities concerned should devise immediate actions to construct the roads and highways using concrete.


It is the need of the hour that the government puts more 

importance on improving rural roads to make regional

connectivity easier and faster


It needs no emphasising that the present government has been relentlessly working for the development of the country’s transport infrastructure. Alongside the implementation of big projects like the Padma Bridge, metro rail, elevated expressway, and bullet train, it is the need of the hour that the government puts more importance on improving rural roads to make regional connectivity easier and faster.  

An efficient rural road network can play the most important role in improving rural livelihoods. Also with easier access to market and technology, improved rural roads can help boost agricultural production and foster economic growth. 

Therefore, it is time for the authorities concerned and all relevant departments to put forth their concerted efforts to improve the condition of the rural roads in no time.