Attack on police at Kishoreganj railway station

Published : 06 May 2022 08:32 PM

A police officer was attacked while maintaining law and order at Kishoreganj railway station. The victim was identified as Choton Sharma. The attack took place at Kishoreganj railway station around 4:30 pm on Tuesday (May 3). Railway Police Sub-Inspector (SI) Choton Sharma, who was attacked, filed a case against the five accused at noon on Wednesday (May 4). The accused are Suraiya Akhter Beauty (40), husband Md. Shaheen (50), sister Happy Akhter (38), husband Bhutto Mia (50), Beauty's son Rafi (22). The accused are residents of Bagadia area of Sadar upazila but live in Kishoreganj railway quarter.

According to sources, passengers gathered at the station on the afternoon of Eid for advance tickets. The law enforcement police were performing duty to handle the crowd. The accused fled when the police rushed to the spot after hearing screams in front of the counter. The police also failed to follow them and again came to the front of the counter to take charge. Half an hour later, the accused attacked SI Chhotan in the neck while he was on duty in front of the counter. Later, he grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled it and try to killed him.

Kishoreganj railway station master Yusuf said, the accused had an argument with the booking assistant over the sale of advance tickets for Kishoreganj Express train on Eid afternoon. Later, the accused entered the counter, beat up the booking assistant Rafiq and left. Later he went out and started shouting in front of the counter again. At one point he tried to get a ticket without standing in line for a ticket. When the police intervened, they attacked the police again and fled. After this incident, I have informed the higher authorities of the railways. Further action will be taken by the Railways in consultation with them.

Kishoreganj Railway Police Officer-in-Charge (OC) Emdadul Haque said, police officer Choton Sharma had filed a case with the police station as a plaintiff. Police are on high alert to arrest the accused.