Another witness testifies in PM’s convoy attack case

Published : 21 Dec 2020 09:30 PM

Another witness testified in Satkhira Chief Judicial Magistrate's Court on Sunday in the case of attack on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's convoy in Kalaroa while she was the Leader of the Opposition. In addition, 3 more witness testified again. So far, the court has accepted the testimony of 19 people in total.

Yarb Hossain testified in the case in court on the day. Besides, Kalaroa Awami League leaders Sajedur Rahman Khan Chowdhury, Aminul Islam Laltu and Freedom Fighter Shawkat Ali testified again. The defendant did not cross-examine Awami League leader Fatema Jahan Sathi even after calling her to the gallows.

Additional Attorney General SM Munir, Deputy Attorney General Sujit Chatterjee, Deputy Attorney General Sheikh Sirajul Islam Siraj, Assistant Attorney General Shaheen Mridha and PP of Satkhira Judge Court Adv. Abdul Latif took part in the hearing  on behalf of the state.

Barrister Mahabubuddin Khokon, Joint General Secretary of BNP Central Committee, Adv. Shahanara Akhter Bakul, Adv. Abdul Majid, Adv. Syed Iftekhar Ali and Adv, Mizanur Rahman Pintu took part in the hearing on behalf of the defendant.

On August 30 in 2002, the then Opposition Leader and current Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina visited the violated wife of a Freedom Fighter at Satkhira Sadar Hospital.

On her way back to Dhaka her convoy was attacked in front of Kalaroa BNP office in Satkhira at around 11:30 am. The then Satkhira-1 MP Habibul Islam Habib and other BNP leaders and activists were accused in the incident.

Former general secretary of Upazila Awami League Moslem Uddin as the plaintiff recorded the case with Kalaroa police station on October 15 in 2014, a decade after the court order.

Later, on May 17 in 2015, Sheikh Safiqul Islam, the investigating officer of the case, submitted a supplementary charge sheet accusing 30 people, including Habibul Islam Habib, former MP from Satkhira-1 constituency.

After taking the testimony of 9 witnesses in the Satkhira Chief Judicial Magistrate's Court, on September 21 in 2016, the High Court ordered to adjourn the proceedings of the case.

Following the plea of the state lawyers, the High Court on October 22 this year revoked the stay order and directed the Chief Judicial Magistrate's Court to dispose of the case within 90 days. Judicial proceedings in the case are continuing as per that directive.