A jute mill named Afil Jute Weaving Mills Ltd was burnt down in a fire in Sharsa Upazila of Jashore on Saturday afternoon.
The fire originated from an electric short circuit at Afil Jute Weaving Mills Ltd in Sharsa upazila, said Manoranjan Sarkar, Assistant director of Benapole Fire Service and Civil Defence.
Three warehouses of the mill were burnt down in this fire at around 1 o'clock on Saturday.
General Manager of Afil Jute Weaving Mills Abdul Wahab said that about 100 crore worth of goods have been damaged in the fire incident. 6 units of Jashore, Jhikargacha and Benapole fire services managed to bring the fire under control at 3 pm. About 20 workers were injured in the incident. Later, Benapole Fire Service, Jhikargacha and Jashore Fire Service were informed and they arrived after half an hour the authorities alleged.
Manoranjan Sarkar, assistant director of Benapole Fire Service, said, 6 units of Benapole, Jhikargacha, Jashore and Nawapara fire services managed to bring the fire under control after trying for two and a half hours.
However, initially it is believed that the fire occurred due to short circuit.