AB de Villiers has confirmed he is considering “throwing his name in the hat” for an international comeback at the T20 World Cup in Australia later this year following constructive talks with the new leadership in South Africa, ESPN reports. Late last year captain Faf du Plessis revealed conversations had already begun about whether de Villiers could return following his retirement in May 2018. Now de Villiers has said “hopefully I’ll be involved as well pretty soon” having been encouraged by the appointment of former team-
mates Mark Boucher and Graeme Smith as coach and director of cricket following major upheaval in Cricket South Africa. “There’s a lot that needs to happen before that becomes reality, I would love to,” de Villers told reporters after making his BBL debut for the Brisbane Heat on Tuesday. “I’ve been talking to Bouch, Graeme Smith and Faf back home.
We are all keen to make it happen, it’s a long way away still and plenty can happen – there’s the IPL coming, I’ve still got to be in form at that time. I’m thinking of throwing my name in the hat and hoping everything will work out. “It’s not a guarantee, I don't want to disappoint myself or other people, so for now I’m just going to try and keep a low profile, play the best possible cricket I can and we'll see
what happens towards the end of the year.”