At least 50 shops were gutted in a fire at Chowmohani in Noakhali on Friday morning, destroying goods, property and cash money worth about Taka 10 crore.
The fire originated in a shop at the east side of railway station in the morning, local people said. The fire engulfed the shops of cookeries, plastic items, library, cosmetics and garments items. However, a branch of a Islami Bank Ltd (IBL) was saved from the inferno. Eight units of fire service from Maizdi, Sonaimuri, Companigonj and Feni rushed to the spot and doused the fire lasted for about two and half hours. Assistant Director of the fire service Humayun Kabir said the suspect electric short circuit as the primary cause of the fire.
Extent of damage is yet to be ascertained, he said.