2 construction workers beaten to death

Published : 03 Feb 2023 08:57 PM

Two construction workers were killed by mass beating on suspicion of stealing by the owner and his relatives of the house. Two construction workers were tortured from Thursday noon to 8-00 pm. 

Being informed, police from Boalia thana rescued two severely injured construction workers from a house adjacent to Modern Food Factory at Sopura BSCIC area. They took them to the emergency department of Rajshahi Medical College Hospital where attending doctors declared one dead and another was admitted to ward 8 of the hospital where he succumbed to the injuries around 9-30 pm.  Police arrested four persons in this connection. 

The dead construction workers were identified as  Rejaul Karim(45) son of Abdus Samad of village Saguna under Manda upazila of Naogaon district and Rakibul Islam(35)son of Golam Mostafa of village Chaitnyapur under Shibganj upazila of Chapainawabganj district. Both of them used to live at Dabtola area under Rajpara area of the city. 

Majharul Islam, Officer-in-charge of Boalia police station informed, Rakibul and Rezaul were working as masons at the house of the owner of Modern Food factory Abdullah(38) son of Abdul Malek Haji of Sopura area for several days. The owner Abdullah allegedly tied down Rakibul and Rezaul on the allegation of stealing Tk 10 lakh from his house on Thursday noon and tortured them severely till 8-00 pm. 

Acting on a tip-off, the Officer-in-charge of Boalia thana conducted a raid in the house around 8-00 pm Thursday and rescued them from the house and sent them to the hospital where attending doctors declared Rezaul dead while Rakibul died during treatment later the same night. 

Police arrested four persons in this connection. They are the owner of the house Abdullah(38), his father-in-law Masum Reza(50), brother-in-law Moin Uddin Real(19) and Manager of Modern Food Imran Hossain(21). 

OC further informed, to realise the stolen money both the construction workers were tied with ropes in a pole and were beaten with iron rods and sticks mercilessly.

 They also snapped videos of the torture. Police recovered two video copies of the torture. The dead bodies were handed over to the family members after the autopsy.