National, Back Page

Assaulting girl over outfit

Women orgs demand justice

Published : 23 May 2022 09:37 PM

Different women organisations on Monday protested against a recent incident of assaulting a young girl physically at a railway station in the country’s Narsinghdi over her outfit.

They also demanded justice for the victim girl and punishment to those involved in the heinous incident.

Besides, the protesting women also urged the government as well as to the people of the country to come forward and raise voice against the fundamentalists groups. 

The progressive minded women came up with the demands at a protest rally held at the Jatiya Press Club area after a procession in the afternoon. A large number of women and progressive mined other people took part in the rally and procession with various placards, banners and festoons in their hands.

At the rally, the speakers said that ‘Outfit is not a matter, everyone should change their masculine mentality and everybody should change fundamentalist mentality.

They speakers also demanded to ensure women’s security at home and outside and equal rights for both the men and women.

It should be mentioned that a young girl was physically assaulted 

by some people for her outfit when she had gone to a railway station in Narsinghdi on May 18. The video footage of the incident spread on social media the next day.

In the video, a woman and some young men appear to assault the young woman while one of his co-travellers tries to save her.

The young woman runs away and takes shelter in the station master’s room with the help of others. Another person closes the gate.

Meanwhile, police have detained a man over the incident.

Detectives detained 30-year old Ismail Hossain in the station area on Friday night after a team of officials from the district administration identified him from CCTV camera footage, said Bhairab Railway Police Station chief Ferdous Ahmed Biswas.

Imayedul Jahedi, chief of Narsingdi Railway Police camp, said Ismail was produced in court on Saturday, seeking a two-day remand to grill him.

Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Molla Saiful Alam sent Ismail to jail, ordering police to start a case over the incident. The magistrate set Monday for the hearing of the remand petition.