Three members of a family were electrocuted in Bananipara of College Road area in Rangpur city on Friday, reports BSS.
The deceased were identified as Tanya Wasfi, 30, her daughter Tasfia, 8, and her mother-in-law Tazmahal Begum, 62.
“Syed Ali, owner of the house, has previously created a trap by electrifying galvanized iron (GI) wires on the roof to prevent stealing of goods by thieves,” Jamir Uddin, assistant police commissioner (ASP) of Kotwali Zone of Rangpur Metropolitan Police (RpMP), told BSS.
He said the tragic incident occurred when mother Tanya, wife of Rubel Islam, with her daughter Tasfia went to the
roof to hang their wet clothes on the GI wires for drying around 1:15 pm.
“Both of them were electrocuted as soon as the ill-fated mother and her daughter hanged their wet clothes on GI wires those
were previously electrified,” the ASP said.
Hearing screams, Tazmahal Begum, rushed to the roof and also embraced death after being caught by electrified GI wire.
Being informed, police and fire service and civil defence personnel rushed there, rescued the victims and rushed them to Rangpur Medical College Hospital where attending physicals declared
Local neighbours immediately surrounded the house, caught Syed Ali and handed him over the Kotwali Thana of RpMP.
“We have handed over the bodies to their relatives this afternoon after completing necessary legal procedures,” Officer-in-Charge (OC) of Kotwali Thana of RpMP Rezaul Islam told BSS.
“Interrogation of Syed Ali is continuing at Kotwali Thana of RpMP,” the OC said, adding that necessary legal actions will taken in this connection.