The proceedings of the case lodged over 2015 bomb attack at Hoseni Dalan in the capital hours before bringing out traditional Tajia procession marking Holy Ashura has been stuck in absence of witnesses. According to the prosecution sources, in spite of issuing non-bailable warrant against the witnesses, they are not being able to be brought at the court, making the four-year old case to linger.
“The witnesses are not coming to testify before the court. Police is responsible to produce them before the court and I think in this case the law en-forcing agency has to be more alert,” Public Prosecutor Abdullah Abu said. The case is now pending before Anti-Terror Tribunal. Initially Dhaka Metropolitan Session Judge Court on May 31, 2017, framed charges against 10 members of banned militant outfit Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) in the trial.
Later, the case was transferred to anti-terror tribunal. After initiating of the trial proceedings, only 11 witnesses of the total 46 have so far been examined by the court. The last hearing in the case was held on October 22, 2018, almost a year before, when a witness named Abu Sayeed testified before the tribunal.
“The state is responsible for producing the witnesses before the court and as they are not being able to perform their duty, the proceeding of the case is going nowhere. The prosecution should produce the witnesses before court,” defence lawyer Faruk Ahammed said. Two persons were killed and more than hundred were injured as several homemade grenades were blasted in Hoseni Dalan area on October 23, 2015, during preparation of Tajia procession in old Dhaka.
Sub-inspector Jalal Uddin of Chawk Bazar Police Station filed the case under anti-terror act over the incident. DB inspector Shafiuddin on October 18, 2016, filed charge sheet against 10 accused. Of the accused, Kabir Hossain, Jahid Hasan, Rubel Islam, Abu Sayeed, Arman and Masud are in jail. Hafez Ahsan Ullah Masud, Shah Jalal, Omar Faruk and Chan Miah are on bail.